The psychiatrist administers psychotropic medication and applies elements of psychological counselling.
Psychiatric consultation is given to treat the following mental disorders:
- Mental disorders caused by other diseases or injuries (traumatic brain injuries, meningitis, epilepsy, Alzheimer’s disease, etc).
- Dependence on psychoactive substances and effects of psychoactive substance abuse.
- Schizophrenia and allied mental disorders.
- Mood (depression) and sleep disorders, anxiety.
- Mental disorders caused by bulimia, anorexia, sexual dysfunction, etc.
- Personality disorders followed by anxiety reactions and mood disorders.
- Mental disability.
- Children’s psychological development disorders.
- Behavioural and emotional disorders in childhood and adolescence.
Children’s psychiatric disorders are treated by child psychiatrists but changes in the child’s psyche are often caused by interrelationship problems in the family. Consequently, additional help that can be given to the child and the family by the psychologist and the psychotherapist is vitally important.